Full-Stack Software Engineer
Senior Developer — Dotdash, Remote. September 2011–present
Dotdash was formerly known as About.com.
Internal Tools — 2014–present
- Developing REST APIs in Node.js for content management systems.
- Building content management user interfaces in Angular.
- Leading effort to modernize CMS tools with ES2015 and above.
- Worked to implement a new publishing pipeline which is 10x smaller than the old one.
- Decreased Angular unit test execution time 90% by migrating from Karma & Webpack to Jest.
- Developed a new permission model for CMS tools.
- Led effort to develop internal modules for shared Node.js code.
- Standardized logging across all CMS tools.
- Migrated tools from Django to Node.js and Angular.
Calorie Count — 2011–2014
- Built features to allow users to connect with other members, share status updates, daily progress reports, and receive community support and feedback.
- Developed a system to allow users to contribute to the food database, and for moderators to verify accuracy. As a result, the food database increased by over 70% in less than a year.
- Led effort to migrate and refactor large amounts of legacy code to a new platform.
- Initiated and led unit and integration testing efforts.
Senior Developer — PetFlow.com, New York NY. March 2010–April 2011
- Managed the setup, administration, and backups of development, staging and production servers, MySQL databases and database servers.
- Was instrumental in executing a painless migration from Drupal to a new framework.
Developer & DBA — Portero Luxury, New York NY. October 2008–March 2010
- Configured a network of high availability servers in a virtual private grid on which three major web components ran: back-end administration, third-party vendor administration, and the customer-facing website.
- Built admin and vendor platforms using Linux, Zoop, MySQL, and the Doctrine ORM.
- Developed, extended, and integrated a complete API over which data was synchronized from a secure back-end server to the customer-facing Magento website.
- Managed all data, including bulk operations and data migration (in both SQL and PHP).
- Committed various enhancements to the Zoop PHP framework, most notably the integration with the Doctrine ORM system for SQL databases.
- Administration of MySQL databases, database servers, and database replication.
Senior Developer, Sys Admin — eRev, Saratoga Springs UT. 2006–2008
- Built a complete content management and e-commerce system from the ground up using PHP and MySQL. This platform was used to power over 200 websites, spanning multiple servers.
- Integrated with 3rd party payment processors Paypal and Authorize.Net.
- Wrote and managed software to deploy new websites on production servers, streamlining the process from sale to live website.
- Complete server setup and management.
Web Developer — Nextline Media, Salt Lake City UT. 2005–2006
- Built and maintained a variety of projects with PHP and MySQL.
Owner — Take a Hike Software, Murray UT. 1997–2004
- Released the first popup advertisement blocker ever developed, Close Popup, in 1997.
- Frustrated by the complexity of security software, developed Mouse Trap in 1997 with the purpose of securing one’s computer without the overhead that accompanied other software options in the market. Mouse Trap was most notably featured in Windows Magazine, PC Magazine, and Lockergnome.
- Developed Real Passwords in 2000, a password generator to help people create easy to remember passwords while still maintaining enough complexity to keep them secure.
- Built 12 other freeware and shareware applications.