Full-Stack Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer — Atlassian, Remote. March 2022–present
We’re hiring! Come work with me.
Senior Software Engineer — Pluralsight, Utah. July 2019–March 2022
- Led a highly collaborative dev team to improve user onboarding.
- Worked closely with product management to plan our product roadmap.
- Used TDD and pair programing to build microservices with React, Vue.js, PostgreSQL, RabbitMQ, Kafka, Redis, and Node.js.
- Contributed to an infrastructure as code Gitlab pipeline to deploy services to an AWS-hosted Kubernetes cluster.
- Developed internal tools to increase developer productivity.
Senior Developer — Dotdash, Remote. September 2011–July 2019
Content Management — 2014–2019
- Built a custom structured-content WYSIWYG editor with Quill.
- Created content management systems with Vue.js and Angular.
- Developed services and REST APIs in Node.js for content management systems.
- Worked to implement a publishing pipeline which was 10x smaller than the old one.
- Designed and developed a new permission model for CMS tools.
- Led effort to modernize CMS development with ES2015 and above.
- Standardized logging across all CMS tools and applications.
Calorie Count — 2011–2014
- Built features using PHP, MySQL, and MongoDB to allow users to connect with other members, share status updates, daily progress reports, and receive community support.
- Created a system for accepting and verifying the accuracy of user-submitted foods, resulting in a 70% food database increase in less than a year.
- Led effort to refactor and migrate legacy code to a new platform.
- Initiated and led unit and integration testing efforts.
Senior Developer — PetFlow.com, New York NY. March 2010–April 2011
- Managed the setup, administration, and backups of development, staging and production servers, MySQL databases and database servers.
- Was instrumental in executing a painless migration from Drupal to a new framework.
Developer & DBA — Portero Luxury, New York NY. October 2008–March 2010
- Configured a network of high-availability servers in a virtual private grid on which three major web components ran: back-end admin, third-party vendor admin, and the customer-facing website.
- Built admin and vendor platforms using Linux, PHP, MySQL, and the Doctrine ORM.
- Developed, extended, and integrated an API to synchronize data between a back-end server and the customer-facing Magento website.
- Contributed enhancements to the Zoop PHP framework, most notably the integration with the Doctrine ORM system for SQL databases.
- Administration of MySQL databases, database servers, and database replication.
Developer & Sys Admin — eRev, Salt Lake City UT. 2006–2008
- Built a content management and e-commerce system from the ground up using PHP and MySQL. This platform powered over 200 websites.
- Implemented 3rd party payment processors PayPal and Authorize.Net.
- Designed and implemented solutions to streamline the sales to deployment pipeline.
- Complete server setup and management.
Web Developer — Nextline Media, Salt Lake City UT. 2005–2006
- Built and maintained a variety of projects with PHP and MySQL.
Owner — Take a Hike Software, Salt Lake City UT. 1997–2004
- Released the first popup advertisement blocker ever developed, Close Popup.
- Developed Mouse Trap to secure computers without the overhead of other security options on the market. Mouse Trap was featured in Windows Magazine, PC Magazine, and Lockergnome.
- Created Real Passwords for generating easy to remember, secure passwords.
- Built 12 other freeware and shareware applications.