Interested in efficiency, clarity, performance, and standards compliance.
Specializes in creating clean, modern, efficient, and scalable web applications and websites.
Senior Developer — About.com, New York NY, Remote. September 2011–present
- Used AngularJS, Django, and Express (Node.js) to develop content management tools.
- Responsible for Calorie Count, a food nutrition data and health tracker website.
- Helped architect, develop and maintain the Calorie Count dietitian support subscription service.
- Led effort to upgrade out of date systems and code, including the transition from PHP 5.2 to 5.4 and migrating/refactoring large amounts of old procedural code to CodeIgniter.
- Architected, developed and maintained systems and processes to allow users to contribute to the Calorie Count food database, resulting in a huge increase.
- Initiated effort to build automated tests with PHPUnit and CasperJS at Calorie Count.
- Expanded and maintained the Calorie Count REST API.
- API integrations: Amazon Products, Apple Push Notification & Feedback services, Chase Paymenttech, Facebook, Fitbit, Foursquare, Google Analytics, PayPal, SailThru, and Twitter.
Senior Developer — PetFlow.com, New York NY. March 2010–April 2011
- Managed the setup, administration, and backups of development, staging and production servers, MySQL databases and database servers.
- Was instrumental in executing a painless migration from Drupal to the eGloo PHP framework.
Developer & DBA — Portero Luxury, New York NY. October 2008–March 2010
- Setup and configured a network of high availability servers in a virtual private grid on which three major web components run: back-end administration, third-party vendor administration, and the customer-facing website.
- Built admin and vendor platforms using Linux, Zoop, MySQL, and the Doctrine ORM.
- Developed, extended and integrated a complete API over which all data is synchronized from a secure back-end server to the customer-facing Magento website.
- Managed all data, including bulk operations and data migration (in both SQL and PHP).
- Committed various enhancements to the Zoop PHP framework, most notably the integration with the Doctrine ORM system for SQL databases.
- Administration of MySQL databases, database servers, and database replication.
Senior Developer, Sys Admin — eRev, Saratoga Springs UT. 2006–2008
- Built a complete content management and e-commerce system from the ground up using PHP and MySQL. This platform was used to power over 200 websites, spanning multiple servers.
- Integrated with 3rd party payment processors Paypal and Authorize.Net.
- Wrote and managed software to deploy new websites on production servers, streamlining the process from sale to live website.
- Complete server setup and management.
Web Developer — Nextline Media, Salt Lake City UT. 2005–2006
- Built and maintained a variety of projects including rents4vacations.com, allsportrating.com, actionprofiles.com, and minoritynurse.com.
- All projects built in PHP with MySQL databases—all either from the ground up, on a custom framework, or with Drupal, a leading open-source content management framework.
Web Developer — Home on the Web, Murray UT. 2003–2006
- Built and maintained a variety of projects.
Owner — Take a Hike Software, Murray UT. 1997–2004
- Released the first popup advertisement blocker ever developed, Close Popup, in 1997.
- Frustrated by the complexity of security software, developed Mouse Trap in 1997 with the purpose of securing one’s computer without the overhead that accompanied other software options in the market. Mouse Trap was most notably featured in Windows Magazine, PC Magazine, and Lockergnome.
- Developed Real Passwords in 2000, a password generator to help people create easy to remember passwords while still maintaining enough complexity to keep them secure.
- Built 12 other freeware and shareware applications.
Self-taught with books, documentation, articles, the occasional online course, and lots of experimentation.
Eagle Scout — Boy Scouts of America, 1999.
Competent Communicator — Toastmasters International, 2007.
Organizer / Volunteer — Utah Lindy Exchange, 2005-2009.
Volunteer Representative / Missionary — The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, 2001-2003.